Monday, February 16, 2009

When I'm at home alone

So this is what I've been doing when I'm home alone:

- Work - if I'm not doing it, then it's a bit worrying because there's heaps to do

- Reading stuff for my thesis. I have finally begun to narrow down my extensive research topic. Can't say too much, but will be utilising utility functions and hyperbolic discount functions. Utset is someone I'll be using quite a fair bit in the research - simple in his presentation of economics, especially as he's a lawyer. He's got free papers at the Social Science Research Network, SSRN, available free online to anybody.

- Playing the piano. I can't help but notice the short sequences I compose are always depressing. It's either an expression of my depression, or what causes my depression (that's a topic in econometrics, or statistics for economics, known as Granger causality - testing whether causality runs from x to y or vice versa). But admittedly, I tend to prefer composing more depressing sequences - it's the kind of sound that sounds... depressingly nice. I don't think I'm depressed, just almost horribly bored and tired and feeling like death is more imminent than it seems. Just a phase, hopefully.

Next post is an economics-based one :-)

No comments: